Supported employment enables people with intellectual disabilities to function better and more efficiently in the work environment. Support can be permanent (the work assistant is constantly present at the workplace with a person with intellectual disabilities), occasional and natural (existing work environment – colleagues in the workplace). With the occasional support of a work assistant, the role of natural support is greater.
Prior to employment or employment, the work assistant agrees with the employer on working hours, job descriptions and tasks to be performed by the person with intellectual disabilities, remuneration – salary for the person with intellectual disabilities and the amount of support required, taking into account the possibilities and needs of the person with intellectual disabilities. as well as the employer.
One of the tasks of the work assistant is continuous cooperation with the employer, among other things to monitor the employee and his work efficiency as well as training natural support or persons directly involved in the work process together with a person with intellectual disabilities and can support her work tasks and situations. when the work assistant is not present. The task of the work assistant is to facilitate the process of socialization of a person with intellectual disabilities in the work environment through activities that are not directly related to the work process (joint gatherings, banquets, parties, etc.).
The work assistant should:
- know how to listen to the employee – his wishes and needs
- encourage his abilities – involve him in various tasks
- Encourage employees to feel responsible Encourage a positive work atmosphere – avoid and extinguish conflict situations in the workplace
- be an advisor to the employee – be with him, help him find the most effective way to perform the task depending on his needs and abilities
- present the user in a positive light – show the shortcomings as a need for support
- have a positive attitude towards the user – he is a model of behaviour for others
- not work for the user – work with him
- to get other employees from the work environment to cooperate – to encourage positive relationships with natural support